Welcome to Spruce Tips, our new weekly feature keeping you up to date on everything you care about for your home, starting with this seasonal checklist.
As summer slips into fall, this is a good time to start planning and prepping for the months ahead. Even if you’re still in beach mode, it’s never too soon to start putting your checklist together and, if needed, booking your trades.
Fall is a good time to:
- Clean your gutters.
- Clean your carpets.
- Check windows and doors for air leaks; replace worn-out weatherstripping and patch gaps in caulk if needed.
- Have your heating system inspected for efficiency, and clean (or replace) any clogged filters.
- Check that your fireplace and chimney are working properly.
- Repair walkways, drives, steps and decks before the rain, snow and ice make them treacherous.
- Prep your lawn and garden for winter. Rake up dead leaves, aerate your lawn and fertilize your garden to prepare for the chilly months ahead.
- Touch up exterior paint.
- Inspect your roof for cracks, wind damage and possible leaks.
- Review your safety features and emergency plan: Replace batteries in smoke and carbon detectors; make sure your fire extinguishers are in working order; update your emergency “go” bags; clean out hazardous materials and clutter; and review your escape plan in case of fire.