Have you heard of Japandi?
Design experts and Pinterest Predicts have claimed 2021 as the Year of Japandi.
“Japandi” (an amalgamation of the words “Japanese” and “Scandi”) is the fusion of Japanese rustic minimalism and Scandinavian functionality. This blend creates an understated elegance with an emphasis on natural materials and easygoing simplicity. It’s an ideal unison of function and form; think clean lines, bright spaces, and pale colours.
Japandi is essentially a unification of “hygge,” which is the Scandinavian concept of cozy and the “home as a sanctuary” that has become increasingly popular in North America over the past few years. It’s combined with the Japanese concept of “wabi-sabi,” which relates finding beauty in imperfection. Japanese and Scandinavian design styles are harmonious because they are both centered around simplicity, comfort and easygoing sophistication.
Here are the key elements of the Japandi trend and how to incorporate it into your home.
KEY ELEMENTS OF JAPANDI
Japandi is aesthetically pleasing but is very much centered around functionality, with these being the essential ingredients:
- Calming, tranquil, and peaceful neutral palettes
- Beautiful craftsmanship with an emphasis on quality handmade pieces and natural materials – no throwaway, cheap products
- Simple, minimalist designs and shapes
- Emphasis on sustainability – eco friendly aesthetics
EASY WAYS TO ADD A TOUCH OF JAPANDI TO YOUR HOME
- Experiment with unfinished woods
- Incorporate muted colours with hints of pale green
- Bring more plants and greenery into your home
- Reduce clutter with baskets and folding screens
- Simple, minimalist shapes
Incorporating Japandi elements into your space can be a fun and effortless process. Enjoy the best of both Scandinavian and Japanese design elements.